Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Week 4: Getting Closer

Things are rollin' now. I spoke with Mathias in Stuttgart today. We talked about our options and I told him about my preference of obtaining a permanent position with his company, with the hopes of getting the freelance visa once we are over there. He was excited about that, since he also investigated the process, and discovered that that would be the easiest and quickest option. By Friday morning, he will present me with an offer.

We talked about some details and he straight up informed me of the benefits that will come with my salary. 40 hours a week, 28 working days of vacation (almost 6 weeks!?!?), sick pay, health insurance, and they will pay for up to 2 months of accommodation once we arrive, until we get settled. That was a nice surprise, I thought I was going to have to beg for that one. He thought the work visa would take between 6-8 weeks to get. He will be offering me between 50-60,000 euros, so we will see what he comes up with. I hope it's towards the higher end, because I usually end up selling my self short and am not a good barterer. I have done some research on costs of living and how much would be enough for us to live comfortably and 60,000 should be fine. Stuttgart is certainly cheaper than Munich, so I am kind of glad that we are not there, but Stuttgart was not my first choice. 

I hope to get my hopes up too much, but I am excited about this...I will write again when I hear from him.



No comments: