Sunday, February 1, 2009

Taste Test: Blutwurst (Blood Sausage)

I had the honor of trying a timeless German classic delicacy at a local brew pub in Ludwigsburg the other day. Blutwurst. I actually didnt even know that I ordered it. Our waitress spoke great English (she was half American, she said) and I asked her for the most local dish they had. She insisted that I would not like it, that I should not order it, but I brushed her off. Aftreall, we are here to live like the locals! 

It was a carnivorous' dream:
Thats the blutwurst, another wurst above, a bunch of saurkraut, and a slab of fat/pork/fat/pork/fat. Oh and some salad thrown in for good measure. 

As I started to cut up the blutwurst, I realized the skin was just packaging, not to be eaten, for the treasure lies inside:

I was not expecting the consistency. Jenna almost hurled right there, and I must admit that my stomach seized up a bit at the sight of this.  The taste was not too surprising--warm, blood mixed with moist pork chunks. Kinda like dog food, I guess.  Actually reminded me of the infamous scottish dish, Haggis. Mixed with the sourkraut and put on some bread, it was not bad, and I managed to eat the whole meal. That fatty pork think was fatty and porky, and the other wurst popped out of its skin at the slightest touch of my dull knife. After 2 beers and this dish, my stomach was churning, at one point I did feel nauseous. Not sure why--I was thinking about it alot, I think. You cannot think about what you are eating around here. Just don't do it.

I had to throw this picture in of Mayzie drinking her apfel juice at this meal like a true Swabian. Next year there will be beer in there:

4 comments:

DarrenDriven said...

Just reading that made my stomach do a little backflip. Ugh.

Troy said...

That would have been priceless if Jenna actually tossed her cookies.

Oh, and are you sure that's apfel juice? She already looks hammered.

Nick said...

could have been cider! i didnt try it. That might actually explain some things...

RADim said...

Sauerkraut juice in combination with beans this can cause serious damage to both patient and surroundings;o)))

Looks like receipt from Wallachian kingdom. Ugh...