Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Half 9

I was an hour late today for work. I was told to come in at "halb neun" (half nine). To me, this is 9:30. To the Germans, this is 8:30. D'oh! Am I delusional, or in the US if someone says half nine (which they never do), this is 9:30, right? It wasnt a big deal, but I thought it was funny. I couldn't explain it properly to my work mates and it felt like a lame excuse when I was trying to describe the situation. The ironic thing is we are learning about time in my Deutsch class...I should have known.

6 comments:

JWW said...

No Dude. You screwed the pooch. Half Nine i short for Half OF Nine, which is for sure 8:30.

Bad American.

Steve said...

Silly American.
Didn't you take any German before you moved over there?
I SWEAR NICK! That's the first thing they teach you!
Haha. I'm sure they'll take it easy on the new guy the first day.

Troy said...

Quit making excuses for being a lazy American. Mach schnell!

DarrenDriven said...

Half-wit means smart in Germany, too. :)

Nick said...

I think in England they say Half 9 and it means 9:30. Yeah, thats it.

Liz's World said...

8.15 = viertel Neun!
8.30 = halb Neun
8.45 = Dreiviertel Neun