Monday, May 25, 2009

Ticks

UGGGGH we have ticks in the backyard! We had heard about them being common around here, but didnt expect them so soon. Totally gross. Found 2 on Oskar the other day. Hopped on the google and read removal horror stories, ranging from using sterilized tweezers (dont have any), your fingernail between its jaws and the skin (nasty) and burning them off (dont think Oskar would stand still for that). I read about not leaving the head in the skin because it may become infected, how these little bastards give Lyme disease. Then I stumbled on this article. Couldn't be that easy--just molest the little beast, make him dizzy, and he loosens up?? Had to try it. So I pinned Oskar down on the back terrace, fondled the tick in a clockwise fashion for about 10 seconds and you can see him loosening his grip. Then I just plucked him off. DONE. I am tick removal master! Luckily we havent found any on our bodies yet, just on Osky's. I felt like the knight in shining armor who saved the day...Jenna was sure not going anywhere near these vermin.

There are lots of bugs here...we have heard that it is because of the lack of pesticide use. Interesting. What are the signs of Lyme Disease? Is it hyper activity and licking you when you least expect it and lunging at your face for a lick and snoring and peeing at sight of visitors and excessive gas? Oskar for sure has it then.

3 comments:

DarrenDriven said...

You crack me up man... I have a cousin that is a tick molester now. Will wonders never cease?

Troy said...

Dude, you're going to have to get registered as a tick offender.

Liz's World said...

My daughter got lyme disease twice here. Watch those nasty ticks!