Friday, April 9, 2010

Be All, End All



Wow, it has been awhile since I have really updated this blog. Sometimes I get so far behind that it seems like a chore to do an  update. Our visitor Tyson is back in the US now, and with him, is Oskar. I cant believe we will be leaving also, in only 3 more  weeks...April 30. A great friend is one who would take a dog on a 11 hour flight to Portland for us, so we are eternally grateful  to Tyson for doing that. It will make our move back a lot easier, especially since we have connecting flights and Tyson's flight was  direct from Amsterdam to Portland. I imagine, as I type this, that Osky is curled up, happy as can be, on my moms lap, who will  watch him until we arrive. We really appreciate their help. If (when?) we do something like this again, I think the dog will stay  behind, as hard as it would be to be away from him. It has really limited us in transportation, apartments, and flexibility.

Another set of friends are visiting us now, my old school friend Steev Hoang and his wife Christine. They met us in the  Netherlands. We rented a house for 5 days, where we enjoyed the tranquillity of the Dutch people, bikes, and relaxation. We were  in the center of Holland in a part of the country called The Veluwe... basically, a huge, old recreational forest. Bike riding is  a pleasure here, as all places in this country. Good times. We brought Mayzies small bike from Hamburg, and we also have a kinder  seat for the back of our bikes, so we were very portable.











Our dear friends Pauline and Roger Tomlinson will be visiting next thursday from the UK, so this will be a long stretch of  visitors. We have a lot to do for the move, but I think most things are under control. We will put most of our furniture and other  valuable items on Ebay, we have organized a furniture pick up for the stuff we will not sell, we cancelled the contracts for phone  and TV, we got the bike boxes so we will be able to take our bikes on the plane with us, and we will book a hotel for the last 2  nights here, since our apartment will be empty. It really feels overwhelming having to move again.

Jenna has been quite the social butterfly lately, and has made some great friends over here...I am happy for her, but sad at the  same time, because she has to leave them now. It always happens that when you try leaving somewhere, it starts getting really  good.

Back in Portland, we will take our house from our renter on May 1, fix it up, and start working soon after. Pay off our debts and  see what happens next. Focus on health, music, friends, and being outdoors. In an amazing act of kindness, Jennas parents bought  us a used car so we will have some wheels upon our return. I know Mayzie is excited to see all the grandparents.

I don't think I am quite ready to sum up our time in Germany. As readers of the blog, you know that it has certainly had its ups  and downs. We have had some periods of quiet lately, and it helps to put things in perspective. One thing I do know, is that I do  not want to have any big plans like this for awhile. Once I make a plan in my mind, I project myself into the future, forgetting  about living now, and becoming obsessed with my new goal. Just as 9-5 is a rut, so is moving every 2 years. There has to be a  better way to find happiness, and I know it starts with controlling my mind, being aware, conscious of big decisions, and not  pushing myself blindly. For someone who's mind is incessant, this is a tough one to control.

On a nice spring day like today, the birds chirping, the outdoor cafes are full, biergartens are open, bikes are all over, parks  are buzzing, people are cheery...I know I will miss Germany, and Europe. All of life is a journey....




2 comments:

Troy said...

Dude, Portland sucks, you don't want to go back there. They won't accept you. :) Gotta remember to live in the moment once you're back here, and, as always... don't worrrrrry about it!

Milla said...

There has to be a better way to find happiness, and I know it starts with controlling my mind, being aware, conscious of big decisions, and not pushing myself blindly. For someone who's mind is incessant, this is a tough one to control.

Hm. Nick, if you find a solution to this state of being, you should patent it! But first, you MUST tell me about it.

Does your move mean that you won't have a basement to clear out for when you start to work on the Agalloch plane? The Italians have signed up too...